Re: [SLE] Low-level format question: (Stepping outside the "Polish That Di sk" thread)
.
I am the locus of that discussion.

Disk manufacturers are so pressed for margins that they developed a method to
get away without formatting drives at the factory. This can take hours, if
done properly.

Maxtor and IBM in particular, have good utils for drive-level functions. You
need the formatter/diagnostic, and the register util, which can be used to
turn on/off such functions as noise level, block-testing, DMA mode, et al.
And most of the time, a DOS boot disk.

Manufacturers are loathe to admit that they do not format any more, but their
compensating measure of 'test/reassign for the first ten powercycles' is
inadequate. This is why we hear all the time of 'lost files' and mysterious
behaviour, no matter if Windows or Linux. The only way this works is if you
FILL UP THE DISK, before the write-check times out.

I say that you should do this low-level formatting yourself, to compensate
for inadequate prep. I've used Reiser for 2 years, and NEVER a glitch.

I say you should run a low-level format on EVERY drive at least once. That
way, you set aside all surface defects, and their LBN is reassigned to a
spare block.

Judging from one response, maybe some people would LL format on every clean
install. Wouldn't hurt, but probably not necessary, as the very largest
number of faults come from the factory. But there is NO downside, and it
will not bring down the very skies above.

Thank you for your interest.