Re: [SLE] suse 8.0 on ftp
  • From: Richard Bos <allabos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:36:34 +0200
I would like to ask SuSE here to store the exact (suse-8.0) rpm versions at
the ftp server that have been delivered on the CDs with the boxed release.

As more and more people are using the Advanced Packaged Tool (apt) to keep
their SuSE box up to date they would be forced to upgrade all the base
packages if newer rpm versions would be provided on the ftp server. This
could be well over 400 packages (which is hard to do via a dialup link).

By providing the CD versions on the ftp server SuSE would credit the people
that actually bought the boxed SuSE release (and use APT). If newer rpms
would be provided, people that download the SuSE distribution without paying
SuSE would be credited and it would harm the paying SuSE customers.

Information about apt can be found at: http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net

--
Richard Bos
For those without home the journey is endless