Re: [SLE] Polish That Disk
  • From: Ron Cordell <roncordell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:07:28 -0400
On Thursday 25 April 2002 08:51 am, Charles Griffin wrote:

> FWIW, when I tried to install SuSE 7.3 on my second
> hard drive (a Maxtor), which had been subjected to
> three or four other distro installations, it just
> wouldn't install. It kept hanging at various points
> during the installation. So, I went to the Maxtor
> website, downloaded their little low-level format
> program, and proceeding to perform a low-level format
> on the troublesome drive.
>
> The next time I tried to install 7.3, it worked
> flawlessly. Now, I don't know if the low-level format
> utility did the trick, or if it was just a
> coincidence, but I do know that when I get around to
> trying 8.0, I'll be firing up that little Maxtor
> utility.
>
> Just my $0.02.

> http://games.yahoo.com/

I'd be curious to know that if you had done:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=1k

If your problem would have also been solved. I have had to do that on at least
one occassion when installing over a previous OS, even after doing a software
format, but usually only when using a different file system (NTFS, ext2, XFS,
...)

-ronc
--
9:03am up 2 days, 16:04, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.06