Re: [SLE] Polish That Disk
  • From: Charles Griffin <cng3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 05:51:09 -0700 (PDT)
--- Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Thursday 25 April 2002 14:22, Anon. Coward wrote:
> > Again, I do not care about the bully orthodoxy, to
> prove anything.
>
> Have you read any books by Martin Gardner? If you
> haven't let me recommend to
> you (and others) Fads and fallacies in the name of
> science. Another is
> Science - good bag and bogus.
>
> While they're not strictly on topic here they do
> make a brilliant read, and
> give an insight into the mind of the
> pseudo-scientist.
>
> One thing you'll learn from reading those books is
> how the pseudo-scientiscs
> handle themselves in an argument. A common feature
> is that their arguments
> consist of two parts: one true, moderately easily
> checked and verifiable,
> thus lending credence to the other part which is
> generally filled with very
> complex, frequently made-up, technically sounding
> words that don't mean
> anything.
>
> Another feature is when the opponent refuses to
> believe the - ofter
> preposteruous - conclusions, and that is screaming
> about "orthodoxy". This
> word, outside the religious world, is most
> frequently used by
> pseudo-scientists to characterize their opponents.
> The idea is to compare
> themselves in the minds of the laymen unqualified to
> look through their
> arguments to such scientific rebels such as Einstein
> and Galileo; after all,
> weren't those greats also ridiculed by their
> contemporaries.
>
> The big difference of course is that Einstein and
> Galileo backed up their
> arguments by falsifiable statements and were
> prepared to admit if they were
> wrong (it happened).
>
> For examples of this in the current computer world
> see Steve Gibson - and Mr.
> Coward.
>
> regards
> Anders

FWIW, when I tried to install SuSE 7.3 on my second
hard drive (a Maxtor), which had been subjected to
three or four other distro installations, it just
wouldn't install. It kept hanging at various points
during the installation. So, I went to the Maxtor
website, downloaded their little low-level format
program, and proceeding to perform a low-level format
on the troublesome drive.

The next time I tried to install 7.3, it worked
flawlessly. Now, I don't know if the low-level format
utility did the trick, or if it was just a
coincidence, but I do know that when I get around to
trying 8.0, I'll be firing up that little Maxtor
utility.

Just my $0.02.