can't mount CD with SuSE 8.0
  • From: neal mcdermott <neamcd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:47:33 -0700

Hi All,

Just installed 8.0. on a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop, and it has recognized my
IDE CDRW, which is good, since 7.3 was unable to, but when I click on the CD
icon on the KDE desktop, I get the error message:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
/dev/cdrom: Input/output error

mount: I could not determine the filesystem
and none was specified.

One difference from the 7.3 install is, this time, instead of only one icon
appearing on the KDE, there are two icons appearing on the Desktop for the
same drive. In addition to the aforementioned CD ROM icon, there is also an
icon labelled: CD-R. When I click on this one, I get the same message,
only instead of reporting the error as /dev/cdrom: input/output, it reports
it as /dev/cdrecorder: Input/output.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I am a beginner, so if you
can help, overexplaining will not be possible.

thank you

Neal McDermott

< Previous Next >