nobody has negative uid
  • From: Bill Wright <bwright@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:14:45 -0700
A friend has an older version of
Suse running kernel 2.0.35.

Besides other problems, I noticed
that the nobody user has a user id number
of -2 and a group number of -2 also.
The group exists and the only member is root.
The home dir is set as /tmp
Is this normal for an older version of SuSE?
The newer versions are user id 65534 and grp
id of 65534 with home dir /var/lib/nobody

Also, how can I disable ftp on the server.
I've disabled anonymous ftp with a ; in front
of ftp in etc/passwd.
That stopped anonymous ftp connections but,
people have been connecting with wuftpd yet there
is no record of any file transfer in the xferlog.

thanks

< Previous Next >