Re: [SLE] Survey for U.S. users
.
I wish for a more consolidated config schema.

- To this day I do not know how to replicate one setup for all users (so it
is updated) real-time. Experiments with symlinking have failed.

- Sooo many customization files scattered all over the place, in /opt, /usr,
/etc, /home, and sooo many ways to mess it up. At least some sort of backup
tool that would save a whole system customization. Better yet, a more
cohesive customization system.

- A rational system for menu .desktop links. Should be able to simply move
files around within some directory structure (yeah like Windows) and be able
to right-click a menu entry to modify -- object-oriented.

- An official Suse backup program. One that would save *everything* in the
best io format, and that would be easy to do disaster recovery with.

- A simpler filesystem. I like one global environment (no "disk C:, D:, etc)
but I also like simple upper-levels with information categorized *below*,
rather than having 16 *irrelevent* folders visible at root. I'm one of those
who with Winduhs, had about 5 top-level folders. And knew exactly where
everything was, because it was organized.

- I dream of a *nix clone for Wordperfect. One that will import old WP and
M$ files perfectly and would save to M$Orifice docs perfectly. This alas, is
but a pipedream.

I realize some of this contravenes the Posix and whatever other standards, or
is under the control of someone else, but it's what I would like. Most of
this bears on simplification, in case you didn't notice.

Anon. Coward