Re: [SLE] If not SuSE, what other distribution?
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:39:22 -0400
Uzo Kemdi Anyamele wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 14:37, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Monday 22 April 2002 15:31, Eddie Howson wrote:
> > > Ha! Ha! That's a really good joke. The bit about XP. Haven't had such a
> > > good laugh for a long time.
> >
> > What's the joke? Those babies are really great processors.
> >
> > And since SuSE doesn't do hardware it *will* be hard for them to beat XP.
> >

> Clever Cloggs !!! Hehehehe........
> So, have you had the one about XP running far to hot to be of any use ?
> <<PUFF>>

I just signed on to this list after a long absence so I missed the
beginning of this thread. What is the joke? Possibly this subject
is one of interest to me. Why? When I started working in this lab
6 years ago, the project involved Pentium 100 PCs with Windows 95.
A lot has changed since then and we have a mix of PCs but still with
Windoze of varying versions. Recently one of our leased IBM PCs
with 400 MHz Pentium II, NT4 got replaced with a new IBM with
Pentium IV and Windows 2000. Everyone who has used this new PC
and the old one have noticed that this new one seems to be slower
than the old one with NT4. It seems that though the processor is
much faster, the new operating system has dragged it down to the
level of older PCs :-(

So, now more than ever, I am interested in Linux once again.
In the past when I experimented with Linux I thought that it seemed
to run a bit slower or require more resources than W95 but with
the latest performance of Windows 2000 and XP, I figure that perhaps
Linux is now way ahead in the performance area. Is anyone willing
to give an honest opinion of W2K/XP versus Linux? Am I correct in
thinking that now Linux will blow away W2K/XP?

In the past I hadn't really pursued switching to Linux because I
was still trying to learn C++ so that in the future I would be able
to use Borland's Kylix to port my projects to Linux. Now that I
have learned some C++ and have ported one of the projects to C++
I would really like to know more about Linux performance because
the latest MS products seem so bad.

Damon Register

< Previous Next >