Re: [SLE] Upgrade
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:38:41 +0200
Hi,
Following down the list of things to do and I have one question.

Keith said,

At 09:00 AM 4/15/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> WHICH configuration files should I be backing up?

Any file that you have customized or changed. Common things would be
/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/exports
/etc/inetd.conf
~/.bashrc and other dot files

I have made a tarball of my entire /etc/ directory, as well as my entire /home/nick directory (the only home directory I really care about) for good measure and stored both on another machine. My questions are:

1. Assuming the world ends and the new install melts my hard drive, if I make a brand new install and then replace the newly installed /etc/ directory with my backup, AND I copy into the newly installed /home/nick directory, will that actually have all my stuff working as it is now?

2. Is /etc/ the only place where important config files are? I have a fairly straightforward setup, though I have set up apache, PHPMyAdmin and MySql I haven't really done anything to those other than set up hosts for a coupole of local domains that I use for web development. Is /etc/ really enough?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

If you haven't done a lot of tweaking, you should be OK. Any files that
are changed during the upgrade should be backed up as <file>.rpmsave.

The most important thing is to back up your data, the other stuff can be
recreated with a small amount of effort if necessary.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MSCE, N+