Re: [SLE] If not SuSE, what other distribution?
  • From: Tim Prince <tprince@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:59:30 -0700
On Monday 22 April 2002 02:04, joe lerch wrote:
> I have been using SuSE since 5.3, never really took the time to look at any
> of the other distributions. Are there any other distributions near SuSE in
> completeness and ease?
>
> I have grown used to YaST and liked being able to use it for everything,
> and enjoyed having all the various software included ready to install and
> run. If you are a seasoned SuSE user and had to pick another distribution
> which would it be? Do any others include all the KDE and gnome , and allow
> you to easily switch between them? Is SuSE a one of a kind type of
> distribution, if so why? .

redhat 7.x, of course, give the option of installing KDE and gnome, and
selecting at boot. KDE won't be as up to date as with SuSE. redhat is as
easy to install as SuSE in a smaller range of situations. Dual
boot with Windows is somewhat more difficult, and the range of supplied
applications is much smaller. Development utilities (gcc et al) are not
standard fsf versions.
--
Tim Prince