Re: [SLE] overwriting existing directories - SuSE 8
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:14:36 +0200
On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 08:21:09AM +0100, Forever Cheerful wrote:
> I tried to overwrite an existing directory by moving a directory with the same
> name in that location. This fails with a message that the directory already
> exists or that it cannot overwrite existing directories. How can I over-ride
> this. The directory I am moving has many subdirectories and I do not want to
> delete the existing directory because I'm not replacing everything just a
> subset of its contents. It would literally take hours to replace files
> individually. I have tried it from the commandline as root with "mv -f" and
> "mv --force" and from a konqueror window (administrator mode) in KDE3 and
> get the same result. Anyone have any idea whats going on and how I can
> over-ride it. Would be very grateful.

Have you considered using rsync? This can efficiently sync files or
directories between sites or locally.
>From the description:
rsync is a program that behaves in much the same way that
rcp does, but has many more options and uses the rsync
remote-update protocol to greatly speedup file transfers
when the destination file already exists.
The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer
just the differences between two sets of files across the
network link, using an efficient checksum-search algorithm
described in the technical report that accompanies this
package.

rsync -r srcdir destdir

Theo
--