start up screen
This may be marginal for on topic, but I'd like to ask if anyone
knows how SuSE programmed the green-gray-white opening screen with
the salamander and the scrolling text box in the middle?

My version is 7.2. And it's the screen I see from lilo boot up till
shutdown.

My guess is that it has something to do with the generic VESA video
driver and the builtin framebuffer device. But that's pretty low
level stuff. Could it be they have an X server running?

I have a project in mind that could use an environment like that
opening screen. A graphics language for middle school kids to
introduce them to programming concepts. The suse list for American
schools seems relatively dead. The UK one has a little activity.
Thanks, Tom.

< Previous Next >