Performance Hit
Hi,

I'm running SuSE 7.3 professional, using a Cyrix 233-based computer
(Abit IT5H motherboard) with 132k memory, as a server/router for a small
home network.
SuSE does network address translation, and I have firewall-2 installed.
Access to the internet is via cable modem. the external interface is a
3c509, and the internal is a generic rtl8139 10/100 card, attached to a
10/100 switch.

I checked out my download speed using a couple of the machines on the
network. Cable modem (attbi.com) is advertised as 1500 down/300 up.
Testing used http://www.dslreports.com/stest.

Both of the inside machines could do no better than 400 kpbs
down/175kpbs up. From the server itself, download was a more satisfactory
900kpbs, with a similar improvement in upload speed.

My question is, why the performance hit, and how can I fix it?

TIA,

Stan Koper

  • No further messages