Big Problem: SuSE 8.0 on a Sony Vaio and all machine with USB floppys
  • From: Al Sutton <al@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 20:51:40 +0100
Guys,

I think I've spotted a bit problem with SuSE Linux 8.0 that will affect all
machines which have USB floppy and/or CD drives.

I've already installed 7.3 onto my Sony Vaio which has no built-in floppy or
CD drive, and relys on a USB floppy and/or CD drive to access floppy disks or
CD-ROMS.

7.3 only required one disk to start the install, which can be used because the
booting of the first disk uses the BIOS interrupts which work without a
problem because the Sony BIOS maps the USB drive into the normal BIOS
interrupts.

8.0 requires two disks, the first disk boots the kernel, and then uses the
kernel to read the second disk (modules disk 1). The problem is that modules
disk 1 contains the USB drivers and so the kernel can't read the floppy
disk.

This means I now have a SuSE 7.3 laptop with no way of upgrading it to 8.0.
I'd appreciate any comments, but if I can't find a way of doing it I'll need
to switch to RedHat 7.3 in order to get KDE 3.0.

Please help.

Al.