Re: [SLE] All this jargon!!!!
  • From: steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:37:12 +0200
Hi Greg

It took me three years to get anywhere near it and even now I'm scared. In
the SuSE 6.2 days it was all jargon. I remember one poor guy who wanted to
get his usb scanner working. You are lucky to be in at the 7.3 level. The
list is ruthless, accepts no nonsense and is the best list in the world. Got
a problem? They'll help you forever. If you tell them that you are a newbie
then won't say dmake libgrep.so /dev/hda at all.

It's the only way you can learn. The learning curve is very steep to begin
with. Start with the manual that comes with the SuSE cd's. It's written in
plain german english. It never says 'as stated above' nor 'as we have already
seen'. It never says 'methodology design philolosphy strategy' although
regrettably I have seen 'total corporate solution' just recently. Set
yourself tasks. Try getting a webcam working for example. You learn by trying
to do stuff and figuring out why it didn't work.

Oh, but remember. No sense of humour please.

Love from Clara x x x