Re: [SLE] Dell Inspiron 8200 Crashes on Exiting X
  • From: neal mcdermott <neamcd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:32:17 -0700
Magnus Hagebris wrote:

Once and a while I have the same problem with my Inspiron 8100 - ATI Radeon 7500(64Mb) and SuSE 7.3(XFree86 4.2.0-2).
When shutting down X-windows the machine just freezes. I guess this happens like 25% of the time and I have no clue why....
But I do not have to remove the battery, just hold the power down button for a few seconds.

Let me know if you find a solution, that might work for me as well.
When I have time I will upgrade to 4.2.0-64, but I am not sure that will fix the problem.

I did a quick search....
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/18434

Cheers,
Magnus

Bill Sheehan wrote:

I remember when Linux first came with XWindow support. It was a bear to
set up - I fought and struggled and filled sheets of paper with modeline
calculations. Finally, voila! A GUI!

There's nothing like new hardware to bring back those good ol' days of
abject ignorance (as opposed to mostly ignorant nowadays). I've just
received a new Dell Inspiron 8200 complete with a gorgeous screen and an
NVidia GeForce 2 Go graphics card. It took a little playing around,
recompiling the kernel without framebuffer support, and voila! A beautiful
XFree86 screen. Only problem is, I can't quit. If I exit X, the laptop
crashes hard - so hard the only way to restart it is to pull the battery.
(Lucky thing I use ReiserFS!)

No errors appear in the logs, and I haven't found any answers in
newsgroups. I'm running SuSE 7.3, XFree86 4.2 (downloaded the RPMs from
SuSE), KDE 2.2.2 (also downloaded from SuSE), and the latest drivers from
NVidia (1.0 2880). I've tried disabling APIC, but the problem is the
same.

I've even tried running the laptop under WindowsXP, but I just can't handle
having my computer turned into the Home Shopping Network. Does anyone have
any ideas or suggestions of where to look?

Thanks!

Bill Sheehan
Postmaster
617-373-7927

I get this too with my Dell Inspiron 3500, and it happens at other times too, sometimes at boot up, sometimes restarting after having used the windows partition. I have had to pull the battery too. While I do not have a solution either, I was curious if any of you Dell users know if we have any other recourse besides just holding the power key or pulling the battery. What is the best course of action to deal with a mega freeze up? Doesn't either of these actions have a possibility of messing up the file system? Also, Bill, was what you said about ReiserFS, was that indicating that ReiserFS is less susceptible to being messed up in this way?

Neal