Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
On Wednesday 17 April 2002 04:00 am, you wrote:
> > SuSE is not at fault here
>
> Yes it is. SuSE is shipping a product which just doesn't work. If it
> doesn't work they should say "not supported", preferably on the box, but at
> least as part of the installation. I don't care about the politics, I care
> about whether it works or not.

They *DO* work! They just haven't worked for *you* and some few others. So
get a different graphics card or a different distro if all you can do is
blame SuSE.

> I'm hoping that SuSE will have done something sensible for 8.0, like stop
> the X configuration until the RPMs can be acquired (via the internet or
> whatever), then running a script to plug in the right bits before running
> sax. i.e. automate the hoops that need to be jumped through in order to
> make it work properly.

You've got to be kidding, right? Stop the X configuration just for you and
a few others who can't seem to get their nVidia cards to work? This has
gotten into the surrealistic with this kind of request! Your bitching won't
make nVidia disclose their drivers. They are *c l o s e d s o u r c e*,
understand? A whole OS is *NOT* going to be stopped just for one companys
drivers to be made non-proprietary. You're seeming to miss the whole point of
all of this. Go get an ATI card ferchrissake!

> > P.S. It is amazing to see that the complaint level is so much higher for
> > nVIDIA graphics card then WinModems. Maybe if they were called winVIDIA
>
> That's because no one claims that Winmodems will work flawlessly. If SuSE
> made it clear that nVIDIA graphics cards don't work properly without extra
> help then no one would be complaining.

*Some* people *have* gotten some winmodems to "work flawlessly". Therefore
this is the same argument as you're trying to use with nVidia cards. Not
*everyone* is saying they "work flawlessly". Sheesh!

John

--

Microsoft says: You *will* use our products. You *will* pay us what we ask.
You *will* be happy with it or we sick our lawyers

< Previous Next >