Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:47:22 +0200
* Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:00:13AM +0100)
>> SuSE is not at fault here

> Yes it is. SuSE is shipping a product which just doesn't work. If it doesn't
> work they should say "not supported", preferably on the box, but at least as
> part of the installation. I don't care about the politics, I care about
> whether it works or not.

Funny,
I've installed a whole slew of linux boxes with nvidia cards, anmd I never
had problems (well, scrtach that, I've had millions of problems with that,
but ..

with 7.3 I could
- unpack computer, insert NVidia board
- insert suse install DVD
- do a full install
and get working X and everything
(not top notch X, but good enough to be able to run YOU or to get a
konsole/xterm in which I could ftp to the NVidia website and downld the
.tgz files

> I'm hoping that SuSE will have done something sensible for 8.0, like stop the
> X configuration until the RPMs can be acquired (via the internet or
> whatever), then running a script to plug in the right bits before running
> sax. i.e. automate the hoops that need to be jumped through in order to make
> it work properly.

Once again I am (a bit) confused.
I could get Sax to work on an NVidia board (with the opensource nv module)

> That's because no one claims that Winmodems will work flawlessly. If SuSE
> made it clear that nVIDIA graphics cards don't work properly without extra
> help then no one would be complaining.

OK, my mind is a bit hazy here, but I thought that if ytou try to enable 3D
in sax you get a popup that sez you need to run YOU or downld the tgz
filkes yourself.

Kind regards,
--
Gerhard den Hollander Phone :+31-10.280.1515
Global IT Support manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539

This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.

< Previous Next >