Re: [SLE] Re: Best graphics card?
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:56:59 +0200
* S.Toms <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:49:02PM -0700)
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Joshua Lee wrote:
>
> jl> On Tuesday 16 April 2002 10:27 am, you wrote:
> jl> > I think it's time to get a new machine. SuSE 8.0 comes with exciting
> jl> > 3D games :-)
> jl> >
> jl> > But what is the "best buy" for a graphics card? My hardware friends
> jl> > tell me about
> jl> >
> jl> > ATI Radeon. Should be powerful compared to the price GForce 2. Not
> jl> > as good as Gforce 3, but cheaper GForce 3. Very fast but expensive
> jl> > GForce 4. ???
> jl> >
> jl> > But of course performance depends a lot on the driver, so - what is
> jl> > the best card for Linux use in order of price/performance?
> jl>
> jl> Despite what people have said about nVidia I like them, but then again
> jl> I haven't had any problems with my drivers. I'm running an nVidia TNT
> jl> card, which is not top of the line but still gives me excellent fps
> jl> for many games.
> jl>
>
> Same here, I have the VisionTek GeForce 3 ti200 and have had very good
> luck with it. Works excellent for playing DVD's as well as games, but then
> I don't play too many different games. For waht it's worth, I paid
> approximately $115.00 US for my card on uBid about 6 months ago.

the geforce4 is an excellent card,
the egforce4 MX is equivalent of a geforce3 performance wise, but a lot
cheaper.

You will need the 2880 nvidia drivers to use dual screen on the 4 series
(and you need the upcoming drivers if you want to be ab le to run our
software on them ;) )

But really, imo there is no better 3d card for linux than the NVidia ones.

Gerhard, <@jasongeo.com> == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
__O If your watch is wound, wound to run, it will
=`\<, If your time is due, due to come, it will