Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
On Wednesday 17 April 2002 02:01 am, you wrote:
> > > How will SuSE-8.0 cope with nVIDIA graphics hardware? I persuaded a
> > > colleague to install 7.3 on his box and was horribly embarassed by
> > > the way it repeatedly crashed as soon as KDE was running.
> > >
> > > Once I'd got the latest nVIDIA drivers in place it was fine, but the
> > > whole installation experience wasn't a good advertisement for "easy
> > > to install" Linux!
> >
> > ========================
> > Derek,
> > My guess is to put the blame where blame is due in this case! Blame
> > nVidia and the graphics card included in the laptop. This can't be
>
> I wasn't looking to aportion blame. The machine is a desktop, not a laptop,
> and it's a supplied office machine. Like most people in an office
> environment, we at IBM don't get to choose the hardware the company puts in
> front of us.
>
> The nVIDIA setup in 7.3 just didn't work out of the box for the machine I
> tried it on. It locked the machine solid. I don't care who's fault it is, I
> just wondered if SuSE have made efforts to ensure their product works
> better for 8.0.

That's just it though. For most who are using an nVidia card, the nVidia
drivers from their site, work just fine. It's *not* a SuSE problem. Install
them with YaST1, then configure them in (if necessary) with SaX2 or
X11configurator in YaST2 modules.

John
--

Microsoft says: You *will* use our products. You *will* pay us what we ask.
You *will* be happy with it or we sick our lawyers

< Previous Next >