Re: [SLE] Best graphics card?
On Tuesday 16 April 2002 12:26 pm, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 April 2002 15:43, Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
> > * Kaare Rasmussen <kar@xxxxxxxxxxx> [Apr 16. 2002 15:29]:
> > > I think it's time to get a new machine. SuSE 8.0 comes with exciting 3D
> > > games :-)
> > >
> > > But what is the "best buy" for a graphics card? My hardware friends
> > > tell me about
> > >
> > > ATI Radeon. Should be powerful compared to the price
> > > GForce 2. Not as good as Gforce 3, but cheaper
> > > GForce 3. Very fast but expensive
> > > GForce 4. ???
> >
> > I would stay away from nVidia chips completely and use Matrox. Maybe the
> > performance is not as good, but with Linux you stay clear of all that
> > stupid, senseless, buggy binary-driver-only hell.
>
> Hmmmm wonder what I have been doing wrong then. I have a GeForce2 and have
> had zero problems with it in combination with SuSE7.3. The HW acceleration
> works fine. I can play Wolfenstein with all the detail settings on
> maximum, Armagetron with max detail settings. This is with a clean install
> of 7.3 and the YOU updates for nVidia.... no futzing around with anything.
>
> Are the problems people have had related to a combination of hardware, and
> not just some wonkey binary drivers from nVidia?
>
> C.

It seems to be a problem with a little of each. The big thing though that's
been said, is, that nVidia doesn't want to cooperate with Linux as well as
ATI or Matrox apparently. I've got no problems running my Hercules ProphetII
with the nVidia drivers either, but it'd be so much easier if everything set
up on the first try, instead of having to rely on going out on the web and
hunting down, then downloading drivers for said video cards.
I for one, am going to get myself an ATI Radeon 7200 (as per some
recommendations in this list), and give my Herc card to my dad or sister
(they run M$, but sis is coming around a little at a time), as soon as
possible, so that it's installed and ready for when my 8.0 gets here in the
mail.

John
--

Microsoft says: You *will* use our products. You *will* pay us what we ask.
You *will* be happy with it or we sick our lawyers

< Previous Next >