Re: [SLE] KDE3 problems
  • From: Michael Nelson <michaelnel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:14:40 -0700
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 05:04:35PM +0200, Lennart Börjeson wrote:
-> Hello,
->
-> I have upgraded to KDE3 on my SuSE 7.2 laptop,
-> resulting in many problems.
->
-> First of all KDM is not able to start KDE anymore. Seemingly
-> it can't find it's configuration, because all options have default
-> settings. After login I only get a single xterm without any
-> windowmanager.
->
-> If I give the command 'startkde' in this window I get KDE up and running
-> (but no sound). If I try to configure KDM through the konfiguration
-> module none of my changes seem to "take", i.e. they are not saved.
->
-> Any ideas, anyone?

No ideas, but the same symptoms here. I've been using startx from a
character mode shell and that works fine, and since I'm going to upgrade to
SuSE 8.0 as soon as it arrives I figured I could live with it until then.

But I've been all over my system looking for kdmrc files and none of the
ones found explain the behavior of the kde3 kdm I see... same as you,
everything is set to defaults, you try to change it with kcontrol and it
appears to have no effect at all.

Michael

--

Michael Nelson San Francisco, CA