Re: [SLE] Tripwire
  • From: Keith Winston <kwinston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:54:03 -0400
On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:09:00PM -0400, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> The Linux Journal Magazine for February of this year reports
> that Tripwire has been taken proprietary. I don't have
> the mag in front of me, but inquiry on Googol would surely
> be helpful. They also say that Tripwire is the best of the
> lot. So pay the man! --doug

Tripwire was originally developed at the University of Purdue and was
distributed as open source up through version 1.2. After that, IIRC, a
couple of the original developers started the commercial tripwire
company and they have continued to develop it as closed source for a
fee (incuding a Windows version).

When I evaluated the commercial version, I found that it had a lot
of overhead and stuff I didn't need/want. I actually prefer the 1.2
open source version because it creates much smaller databases and runs
faster. However, if anyone wants to use tripwire, you should do your
own evaluation of the two versions to see which makes more sense for
your situation.

Best Regards,
Keith
--