Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Eric Pierce <eric_suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:25:42 -0700 (PDT)
> On Tuesday 16 April 2002 07:59, Doug McGarrett
> wrote:
> - Why would any sane person try to learn emacs when
> there are so many simple
> - GUI word processors and even low level text
> editors that are easily
> accessable - available?

I personally have yet to find anything that can handle
all the different Japanese encodings (EUC, JIS, S-JIS,
etc.) as flawlessly Xemacs (I'm guessing Emacs pulls
this task off just as well). I have yet to open a
document containing Japanese text under Xemacs and
find myself looking at a screen of junk.
Also, the flexibility of (X)Emacs (lisp) lets me
incorporate Eng/Jp dictionary functionality (via
EDICT-thanks M. Fabian!).

Anyway, I'm grateful there's such a selection of
editors out there even if I don't choose to use most
of them.

Just my 2 cents.
Eric