Re: [SLE] How to make CUPS work for Canon PS (not in supported list)
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Apr 2002 23:11:32 +0200
Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Can't do that today. The printer has been down since Friday...
> by strange co-incidence, since shortly after I sent it
> those pages of garbage... but don't tell my co-workers.

It may not be a coincidence. Our Canon GP 215 was disabled by printing
one MS-Office generated file. Turning the power off didn't help and
the Canon service had to be called. Though my experience with this
printer is generally good there is no doubt there are bugs in its
firmware.

> We wanted to see how things would go for an ordinary user
> who just needs to get his everyday work done. But then,
> we cheated a bit, because I have SuSE installed at home.

In our heterogenous network, system administrators are supposed to
administer printers, users just use them. I don't think it will change
soon since administrator privileges are required for a driver
installation even on MS-Windows systems. (Ordinary users don't have
them.)

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >