Re: [SLE] How to make CUPS work for Canon PS (not in supported list)
On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 19:05, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:

> > has SuSE never heard of VLANs?).
>
> SuSE probably doesn't like to echo the latest buzz. Networking doesn't get
> more special if one uses MS speak

Ok, then, whatever the 'real' term is for not-very-big
LANs that are segmented into even smaller sections,
for ease of administration and to keep trouble (away from
the rest the company's traffic. Currently, there are three
major segments in the building (and a couple of
special-purpose stray ones). This sort of thing has
been done for years, with many companies segmenting
their LANs by floor, by function, etc. So, it happens
that all the company's printers are not on the segment
where I live. No problem... I'll just enter the IP info
for the bridge(s) and the other segment(s) in the SuSE
printer config and .... whoops!... there's no place to
tell YaST2 that it can/should scan a little further to
find printers and servers. That's all I meant.

> > So, what do I put in a URI?
>
> That depends entirely on the language the printer understands, and its
> location.
>
> > Here's what I know about one printer:
> > it's a Canon ImageRunner 550, and it lives
> > at 172.16.11.20
>
> That's not a lot..
>
> [..]
> > So, I copied the Cannon PPD (EFMC6A20.PPD) to /etc/cups/ppd
> > and restarted YaST2. I was hoping that this would cause
> > another printer instance to appear in the list that
> > YaST2 presents for editing/adding. Didn't work. There
> > must be another file or flag somewhere.
> [..]
> > Can somebody tell me what I'm really supposed to be doing here?
>
> Try /usr/share/cups/model/Canon/

Ah. I looked closer. I had copied the canon ppd to
every directory that seemed to have ppd files in it,
but /usr/share/cups/model/Canon has all its files
gzipped.

> > I mean, I can probably eliminate the example URIs that
> > seem to relate to HP JetDirect, because I know I
> > don't have HP printers, but what about the others?
>
> JetDirect isn't excluded to HP alone.
> Try nmap 172.16.11.20 to see if port 9100 is listening.
> Port 515 for LPD, port 631 for IPP, port 137,138,139 for SMB.
> If it /is/ using the SMB ports you might have a problem.
> (Don't do this when others are using the printer, not all (embedded)
> TCP/IP stacks react well to nmap scans..)

Can't do that today. The printer has been down since Friday...
by strange co-incidence, since shortly after I sent it
those pages of garbage... but don't tell my co-workers.

> > I would be happy to get basic, generic PS printing
> > happening, to begin. Later, I can worry about duplexing.
> > I don't even need printing to be as carefree as Windows.
> > I just need to stop rebooting into windows every time
> > I have something to print. Yuck!
>
> With a well written .ppd file you get the same functionality as under
> Windows, Mac or whatever.
>
> > What do other people do when their printer does not
> > appear in the existing "supported" list, in YaST2?
>
> Do some Googleing?

Er... that's how I found that there didn't seem to be any
downloadable stuff from Canon, and read several people's
statements as to how poor was Canon's support for free
operating systems, etc. That's not something upon which
I could act, because I'm constrained to use the company's
printers. Following what I could from the
CUPS site, and others is how I got into trouble in the
first place. When various suggestions, FAQs and recipes
didn't seem to apply (most seem to assume, as did YaST2
interface, that the list of supported printers would
not need updating -- otherwise, there would have been
a Windoze-like dialog to "Insert your PPD disk now (this
is Linux, so please mount the device first) and choose the
PPD file to be installed". Instead, I'm just forced to pick
something from the list of wrong choices. I can go back,
but I can't go forward, and the interface doesn't offer
me a way to go sideways and point to a new PPD, nor
even does it just TELL ME that that's what I need to do.
It would be so simple.

Meanwhile, the CD that the IT guy found for me may
not actually be for that printer. We've had many
models over the years, and the CD doesn't name an
actual printer model. Hope I don't break anything
expensive.

> > If there's a document somewhere that explains all this,
> > just tell me the title.
>
> It's all there in de CUPS Administration docs IIRC.
>
> [..]
> > Every time I turn around, I'm
> > encountering yet another ordinary thing that
> > Red Hat seems to do easily, out-of-the-box, while
> > SuSE makes me struggle or makes me fail permanently.
> > Is it something I said? :-)
>
> You have my virtual shoulder to cry on.
> Use a towel please.

Boohoo. Sob. Snivel... :-)

As I said elsewhere, I'm one of the people in my company
who is acting as guinnea-pig to decide if we can, as a
company, move from Windows to Linux on our desktops.
We made it a point to not choose a hobbyist or enthusiast
with a lot of knowledge.
We wanted to see how things would go for an ordinary user
who just needs to get his everyday work done. But then,
we cheated a bit, because I have SuSE installed at home.
The only other volunteer in the company was a programmer
who already works in Linux, and he, like the two IT people,
was using Red Hat. It was decided that the programmer was
not a fair test, because the people who need to embrace
the change-out would be Sales, Admin, Finance, Marketing, etc.
Now, here's something you'll never believe... but, really,
it's true... at least half the people in this company don't
know what a printer profile definition is. And, those people
are SuSE's target audience if the goal is to get Linux onto
the corporate desktop. Even worse, as far as the company is
concerned, they shouldn't need to take time from their
overworked schedules to learn. My attachment is some blend
of masochism and sentiment, I guess.

Now, let's see what breaks today.

/kevin

< Previous Next >