Re: [SLE] Upgrade
  • From: Keith Winston <kwinston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:47:05 -0400
On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:49:17PM +0200, Nick Selby wrote:
> I guess what I am asking is, is it generally safe to plug in the new DVD,
> and tell yast 2 to "Fix me up" - to install upgrades in the kernel and
> goodies like KDE, or is this asking for trouble? Will my current
> configuration stay relatively safe and unharmed? Or am I expecting too much?

Yes, you can do an upgrade relatively safe and unharmed. You might have
to tweak a few config files when it's done, but it will work. On the
other hand, there are some nice new features in the 7.3 installed,
probably more new ones in the 8.0 installer that usually make it worth
doing a clean install instead of an upgrade.

If you can, I'd recommend backing up your data and configuration files
and doing a clean install.

Best Regards,
Keith
--