Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:51:31 +0300
* Brian Durant; <durant@xxxxxxxxxx> on 15 Apr, 2002 wrote:
than willing to learn something like Emacs (despite what I understand to be a high learning curve) if I was sure that it would get me where I want to go.

Well to be honest I do not think I am capable of using Emacs to its' 5 %
of capabilities and abilities. However by using SuSE default install
settings at the beginning I was able to produce desired progress with
Emacs , and yes it does work under X environment which enables you to
use your mouse clicks :-) . As my experienced level increased I started
creating templates for the most common SGML/XML settings that I use
which basicly increased by speed (same as using a custom MSWord template.

So learning curve is quite fast beginning the second you stop thinking
the style and focus on the content. Style comes later

For many, newbies, choice is the problem, particularly if one is not sure how long product XY will be supported/developed. In the final instance, I think many would make their decision according to the following:

1) How does XY stack up against MS Word/Office (.doc version support, .rtf support, und alles)?

".doc" is MS material on the other hand ".rtf" is not, it is common. So
you will be able to produce "rtf" files which are usable AFAIK in all
platforms ( I could be mistaken). On the other hand PDF (Portable
Document File) is easy tom produce and it is platform independent.

2) Will support/development for XY vaporize?

I do not think it will vaporize since Docbook is used by many vendors publishing
companies, for example O'reilly uses Docbook to produce those fine
manuals ( they use it to export to Framemaker to finalize the product.)
Also Docbook 5.0 will be purely XML which is the future for many
industries.

3) How does XY bring me closer to cross-platform integration in my workplace?

Docbook can be used under Linux, Mac OSX Windows 9x/Me W2K platforms

4) Is XY GUI or command line? How step is the learning curve?

Both so you choose your own poison :-) Learning curve is a varying road
I would assume with SuSE installation you have a basic working
environment in a very short time. Understanding the content layout and
use of the proper tags is what takes time, yet with Emacs it will tell
you which tags you can use at the current level. Having a reference like
"Docbook Definitive Guide" in your hand surely helps speeding up this
phase.
To give you an example Unofficial SuSE FAQ is done with Docbook SGML ( I
am in the phase of converting it XML) and if you look at the appendix of
it "How it is done" you can see that form tiny little files I can
produce HTML , Text, PDF ( I can produce TeX, dvi, rtf mif and even
Microsoft Help files ).

If your native language is English, German, French, then life is easy
compared to mine. In order to use Docbook with my native tongue, Turkish,
I had to lots of things including getting the hyphenation into the
output, localizing the words like "Table Of Contents" and etc, so my
working environment for Turkish took more time then it would for you
using English. My learning curve included lots of things which were
not directly related to Docbook but yes I have learned a lot about
lots of other stuff.

So give it a try, what would you loose; a day in discovering how to do
things with Docbook so loose it in your ample time, be ready for surprises
and maybe you will start investing another day to actually using the
tool chain.

HTH

--
Togan Muftuoglu