Re: [SLE] Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Brian Durant <durant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:39:42 +0700
On Monday 15 April 2002 06:41, David Johanson wrote:
- A quick note about CrossOver Office. I purchased the program and with
- all the tech support Codeweavers offered, it won't even install on my
- SuSE 7.1 SCSI box. Comment from Codeweavers was to upgrade to version 8
- and try again. I note that MANY others are having similar problems, so
- while some may find it works for them, that is definitely not the case
- for all.

What is wrong with this picture? Applixware appears not to be supported
anymore. There have been complaints in Linux Format (UK) about a lack of
support for Win4Lin problems. They only support I have ever tried to get
from SuSE was outside their support parameters. Looks to me like a business
model problem, at least seen from the customer's point of view. Support is
used as the modus vivendi for why we should purchase software, but like
insurance companies, it seems that Linux companies are in many cases trying
to shore up their finances by providing support that is so limited, it
doesn't hardly make sense anymore for the average user. It will be
interesting to see what kind of support that Sun provides, when they start
charging for StarOffice.

As a Linux newbie, I have been following this thread with interest. almost
everyone seems to be dashing around, looking for an Office package that works
for them. What is it that most users are looking for? Integration between
spreadsheet, graphics and word processor? Is it compatiblity with Word and
WordPerfect? Is it the ability to integrate PowerPoint type presentations? Is
it GUI vs. command line? I have noticed some criticism of existing packages
due to a lack of proper footnote support.

I ask, because I understood that Emacs was sort of a Swiss Army Knife for
much of what is needed within word processing. While I haven't used it yet, I
understand that there is minimal spreadsheet and graphics support now, but of
course there is no Power Point type module. Are there command line word
processors out there that work as well as Word or WordPerfect, or is that
part of the problem?

My two cents worth.

Cheers,

Brian