Re: home networking
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

cb> Having tried to get an idea about the working of a home network from the
cb> howto's man pages and the SuSe manual I am at a point that I am looking for a
cb> more popular an hands on description what can be done and how with a home
cb> network.
cb> My home network exists of two computers, one with SuSe 7.3 and the other with
cb> Slackware 3.5, connected via a Rj45 crossover cable.
cb> The network is setup, the computers are connected but that is it for now.
cb>
cb> My network experience is based on DOS, a laplink cable and programs such as
cb> norton in order to link computers. In DOS I can look into the other computer,
cb> get files and copy files from the second computer.
cb> But with Linux?
cb> Does somebody has the URL of a popular description of networking ?
cb>

If you have the SuSE manuals, then you have a wealth of tutorial right
there at your hands. The manuals should be very helpful in getting you up
and running and familiar with it

If your interested in a bit more reading, there's the
'Linux Network Administrators Guide'

which can be found at these two locations (probably more)
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linag2/book/

the following is a bit shorter, but should get you familiar with it as
well.

http://www.linuxsa.org.au/meetings/1998-02/conflinux/index.html

You can probably find thousands more doing a search on google or another
site.

cb>

--

S.Toms - smotrs at mindspring.com - www.mindspring.com/~smotrs