Re: [SLE] KDE3 rpm's moved
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 01:19:20 -0700

::I guess you don't have a production system.
::My system can't afford to go down.

Well, actually I work for a rather large telcom and I'm one of 3 admins
in charge of about 800 Million dollars worth of Sun E420's, U60's, U80's
and other larger Sun boxes. So I do know what production machines are
like. :)

And NONE of them are in someones house and the certainly wouldn't have
X on them...we are talking about workstation software which is what KDE
is..if your window manager gets hosed on your workstation you fix it..if
it's a server..well you don't install X on a server it's unneeded and
KDe most certainly not "core" to any Linux system.

I'm trying to help these people learn and for them to learn they need to
do more the click upgrade. And the only system I know of that can go
down like a "house of cards" because the GUI interface isn't happy is
Windows..heck even OSX can be repaired without Aqua. ;)

::I've run Linux for three years exclusively, so no Winduhs mentality here.
::(doy) I am going strictly on direct experience.

*shrug* You want a medal? ;)

::When software is not mature,
::no matter WHAT platform, you had better not use it if you do not want
::constant, aggravating, mysterious problems. You will spend all your time
::tracing problems to BUGS, wasting your precious time and energy and not
::learning.

I've never see such an animal as bug free software...if you find some
that has been so stable as to never have had an upgrade due to bug of
some kind or an improvement of some kind. I'd love a list.

And as for wasting time and energy..if it's a waste to learn. Damn I
waste so much time I guess my wife is right about me sitting in front of
a computer. This is what test boxes are for.

::Now please listen: when I say "mature software", I'm not talking about
::kernel 2.0 . I run Suse 7.3 . It has some problems, mainly K2.2.2, but I
::can live with it.

Only problem I had with KDE 2.2.2 was an acknoledged QT 2.3.2 but I
guess I can live with it.

::When you try to install an early release of any core software you'll often
::see your whole system come tumbling down like a house of cards, and you
::can never put it all back together again in a reasonable amount of time.
::(my ::system is fairly complex)

Which is why KDE3 goes in /opt/kde3 and KDE2 goes in /opt/kde2.. and you
can switch between both of them. I don't see what the big deal is. And
if you system is SO complicated and must be cared for in such a manner
because it's so fragile I'm sure you have a DVD burner to make an exact
copy of it or do you have a Network Appliance doing snap mirrors of the
filesystem at hourly intervolts? ;)

::My policy is to do a clean install every other release, and keep up
::with YOU.
::With Suse8 so close, it is irresponsible to recommend to (learning)
::people to INSTALL K3 NOW! Sounds like you just play. Play on n00b.

What kind of crack is this.. It's the SAME CODE..just because SuSE puts
it in a box and labels it Version 8.0 doesn't make it anymore stable.
That's just frelling dumb.

Play? With test boxes and workstations..sure. With production
servers..no. See the 1st statement ;)

::No crap here. Have a little decorum and show some respect for the list.

Dude. Every so often someone comes on this list and tries pretty hard to
out mouth me..and it doesn't work. I'm not some kid in his parents
basement "Playing" with Unix/Linux. I would say there is a damn good
chance I know SuSE a bit better then you give me credit for..and I just
can't get into this whole YOU think..fact is I'm pretty pissed off that
YaST1 is going away..since I've been using it for about 5 years now..

::I'm just tellin' ya...

You aren't tell me much accept that you've gotta big ole complicated
workstation that is very delicate.

::If God had intended Men to Smoke, He would have put Chimneys in their
::Heads.

Oh and don't fuck with my smokes..makes me cranky. :P

/end of dumb conversation.

-=Ben

mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
--=====--
"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around the more I
think it might not be a bad thing." -GC

< Previous Next >