Re: [SLE] How to make CUPS work for Canon PS (not in supported list)
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 01:05:24 +0200
On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:08:43PM -0400, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:
> OK, much removing and re-installing, and CUPS admin
> now responds to my root password. This is progress.
>
> Now what? How do I make printing happen?
>
> has SuSE never heard of VLANs?).

SuSE probably doesn't like to echo the latest buzz. Networking doesn't get
more special if one uses MS speak

> So, what do I put in a URI?

That depends entirely on the language the printer understands, and its
location.

> Here's what I know about one printer:
> it's a Canon ImageRunner 550, and it lives
> at 172.16.11.20

That's not a lot..

[..]
> So, I copied the Cannon PPD (EFMC6A20.PPD) to /etc/cups/ppd
> and restarted YaST2. I was hoping that this would cause
> another printer instance to appear in the list that
> YaST2 presents for editing/adding. Didn't work. There
> must be another file or flag somewhere.
[..]
> Can somebody tell me what I'm really supposed to be doing here?

Try /usr/share/cups/model/Canon/

> I mean, I can probably eliminate the example URIs that
> seem to relate to HP JetDirect, because I know I
> don't have HP printers, but what about the others?

JetDirect isn't excluded to HP alone.
Try nmap 172.16.11.20 to see if port 9100 is listening.
Port 515 for LPD, port 631 for IPP, port 137,138,139 for SMB.
If it /is/ using the SMB ports you might have a problem.
(Don't do this when others are using the printer, not all (embedded)
TCP/IP stacks react well to nmap scans..)

> I would be happy to get basic, generic PS printing
> happening, to begin. Later, I can worry about duplexing.
> I don't even need printing to be as carefree as Windows.
> I just need to stop rebooting into windows every time
> I have something to print. Yuck!

With a well written .ppd file you get the same functionality as under
Windows, Mac or whatever.

> What do other people do when their printer does not
> appear in the existing "supported" list, in YaST2?

Do some Googleing?

> If there's a document somewhere that explains all this,
> just tell me the title.

It's all there in de CUPS Administration docs IIRC.

[..]
> Every time I turn around, I'm
> encountering yet another ordinary thing that
> Red Hat seems to do easily, out-of-the-box, while
> SuSE makes me struggle or makes me fail permanently.
> Is it something I said? :-)

You have my virtual shoulder to cry on.
Use a towel please.

Theo