Re: Corel Wordperfect 2000 for Linux
  • From: Haralambos Geortgilakis <haralambos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:23:18 +1200

Hi All & Tom,

who typed about the above topic.

You & me both, when it comes to WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS {DOG} days :-)

Then, WordPerfect went bust, it went to Novel, then Corel & it is a sorry mess now....

Corel went hell for leather & did release WordPerfect 2000 for Tux, via wine. Looking back at this list archives, will show varied experiences with it on SuSE, as will a search of Corels forums.

The bottom line is (IMHO), after Corel said they would release a service pack for WordPerfect 2000 for Tux, they have in point of fact, abandoned it; after the coincidental investment by Microsoft....

Corel have dropped out of the Wine project, dropped there Linux distro & are focussing on Doze & the legal fraternity. They are feeding the sharks :-)

For this, they get the one finger salute from me & several others; having promised one thing & done another. Up till a month or so ago, you could get WordPerfect 2000 for Tux & Linux Central, but I see it is not there anymore (well, it might be, I could not find it).

Give version WordPerfect 8 for Linux (native), if you like & it takes a bit of work to get it up in SuSE. Here is the url.

http://www.linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?prod_code=L000-019&id=sh5Xpxsbg6Jfc

In the mean time, I am waiting to get my monitor fixed & Star Office to come out, so I can go back to Tux full time.

*HTH*

Greek Geek :-)

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. -- Albert Einstein

Thomas E. Beasley, Jr. wrote:

Does anyone know where you can find a copy of Corel's Wordperfect Office
2000 for Linux? I've been using WP since the dos days. If I can get WP
on my Linux box, I can discard my Microsoft 98 partition. If that's a no
go, will WP Windows version work on Crossover Office? StarOffice just
doesn't have the features I'm looking for. Thanks, Tom

This message originated from a Unix computer using Open Source software:
SuSE Linux 7.2 Pro, Galeon 1.0.3 Browser, AbiWord 0.99.3 Word
Processor, Ximian Gnome 1.4.0.6 and Evolution 1.0.3 Groupware Suite.
Have a lot of fun!!! (Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and
an Apache inside.)

< Previous Next >