Re: [SLE] How to make CUPS work for Canon PS (not in supported list)
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 12 Apr 2002 22:59:44 +0200
Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As mentioned in earlier messages, I find that the
> provided list does NOT contain my printers (nor
> any in their series, if I'm reading correctly...

If I remember it right, my printer is Canon GP 250 (it's a combination
of a printer and a copy machine). It wasn't on the list, so I selected
"Canon GP 335, Foomatic + Postscript" and it worked in my case. Sure,
it may not work in your case.

> Again, I do have that PPD file from the Canon CD,
> but I don't see how to make that file accessible
> to the CUPS Admin. Anybody have a suggestion?

The original PPD file is in:

# rpm -ql cups-drivers | grep GP_335
/usr/share/cups/model/Canon/GP_335-Postscript.ppd.gz

The corresponding PPD file modified by the configuration tool is in:
/etc/cups/ppd/canon.ppd
in my case.

> Is there a config file where I should mention
> the name of the .ppd file??

I would put it into /usr/share/cups/model/Canon/ and if it didn't help
I would read the extensive CUPS documentation.

Anyway, there is a nice note in the GP_335-Postscript.ppd.gz file:

: So all PostScript printers work perfectly under Linux or other free
: operating systems. GhostScript and/or cupsomatic is not needed for
: them.

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >