Re: [suse-security] External interface not accessible from inside problem
  • From: Austin Morgan <admorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:09:13 -0500
Avi,
This is normal and standard operation. I also run an NAT and while it
is possible to configure your system to route the stuff to your outside
interfrace, the easier, cleaner, safer solution is to setup either an
named server (if you have more than 2 computers) or setup your hosts
file so as it points the name of the server to the internal ip address.
Of course you still have to remember to tell your applications to listen
both on the external and internal ports, but most applications (both
sendmail and postfix) come configured this way already.

If you would like some more help with this feel free to e-mail me off
list and you can post a summary of what worked for you when you get it
all worked out.

Austin Morgan