Re: [SLE] First Post: Sound Config for Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop
  • From: neal mcdermott <neamcd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:08:48 -0700
Ewan Leith wrote:

Hi,

despite ages of trying i never got my nm256 to work with the alsa sound
system under suse7.2, maybe 7.3 is better at it.

To get working sound, the solution is a bit complicated, and involves
editting /etc/rc.config and /etc/modules.conf, but it does work.

Basically you need to disable the alsa sound system, and instead use the
older and simpler OSS system.

First, in /etc/rc.config you need to change the 2 lines referring to
starting ALSA from yes to no, and run /sbin/SuSEconfig.

Next, copy /etc/modules.conf so you have a backup, then (very carefully)
do as I say below:

in /etc/modules.conf find the lines

alias char-major-14 off
alias sound off
alias midi off

and add #'s in front of each line

below these 3 lines add a line saying

alias char-major-14 nm256_audio

then, you need to comment out any existing alsa configuration in
modules.conf. most likely these lines are at the end of
/etc/modules.conf, and will look like this

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_cards_limit=1 snd_major=116
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-nm256
options snd-card-nm256 snd_id=card1 snd_index=0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

and so on, there may be several lines all referring to either snd-card-x
or sound-service-x, comment them all out.

Save the /etc/modules.conf file, and exit. As root, type "depmod -a",
then you might as well try and reboot.

When you reboot try playing a sound, it might come out horribly garbled
the first time after each reboot, then it should work fine after that.

If you have any more questions about it give me an email, and if you
cant get it working email me with any error messages you are getting.

Ewan

Ewan,

Okay, I did all the things you advised and tried to play a cd, but got no sound or error message. When I tried to play a mp3 with Xmms, I got this error message:

"Couldn't open audio. Please check that:

1. you have correct output plugin selected.
2. no other programs are blocking the soundcard
3. your soundcard is configured properly"

Also, if this will help, this is what my console log said the first time I rebooted the computer after following your instructions:

linux modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
linux modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0-0
linux modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
linux modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0-0
linux modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
linux modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0-3

Finally, the only other thing I could think of doing was logging in as root in a shell and running yast2 .oss

I got this message from that: ".oss no such client module, please check yast2 logfile."

In the yast2 logfile it basically repeated the no such module message.

My guess is that maybe I need to install the oss module? Is this anywhere near correct?

Thanks

Neal