Firewalls, Ports, etc.
  • From: Patrick <tracerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:43:17 -0400
Hi all,

I have just stepped over into some unchartered territory for me at
least. Checking network things, using nmap to check ports and getting
a firewall started. I am not running a network yet, so that may be a
subject to kinda stay off of right now, but in doing the nmap command
for my machine, I find I have some open ports that probably should not
be! Although I am still on dialup with a dynamic IP address, I would
like to shut these ports down just the same. Ports like telenet &
printer, should not be open I am told and there may be some others?

Is there a way to just close certain ports temporarily or permanently
until you need or want them? Some ports should not be open at all, I
know, so I need to take these out of the list. I also tried to start
the personal firewall to help protect me in the interim, but in booting
up, it doesn't seem to be fully activating. It gets to the second
phase and exits with a status 1. I can provide info from my boot.log
if that will help, but I suspect you gurus here know all those already!
;o)

So, I need to close some ports and activate the firewall fully! Thanks
in advance for your help.

Patrick
--
---KMail 1.3.2--- SuSE Linux v7.3 Pro---
Registered Linux User #225206

< Previous Next >