Re: [SLE] Suse 7.3 ,toshiba 8100 and winmodem
  • From: Tim Prince <tprince@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 06:40:34 -0700
On Tuesday 09 April 2002 02:02, Gahn Lu wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Here is what I found:
>
> On WIN XP, the port range for the modem is 0x02e8-0x02ef with IRQ 3. On the
> Linux, one of lines in /dev/ioports showed:
>
> 0x02e8 - 0x02ef: PCI device 11c1:0441
>
> I assume that it is for the modem
>
> Also I used "minicom" program and here is what it showed on the window:
>
> Welcom to minicom 1.83.1

> Compiled on Sep 20 2001, 04:31:56
>
> Press CTRL-A for help on special keys
>
> AT S1=4 5 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
>
> OK
>
> which told me that the Suse linux recognized the modem.
>
> But the "minicom" stopped here and didn't show which COM port it found on
> which the modem operated. Also I installed the binary package from
> www.heby.de and it linked /dev/modem to /dev/ttyLT0 automatically.
>
> Here got me confused. Obviously I have to set up modem by using
> "setserial", but on which COM port? /dev/ttyS2 (COM3) or /dev/ttyLT0? Or I
> shoudl link /dev/ttyLT0 to /dev/ttyS2 instead of /dev/modem?

No, the links which were set up automatically look OK. You should be able to
activate the modem in Yast; but if setserial were to work, it should be with
either of the /dev designations which you have already. I suppose the COM
port in Windows is "virtual" and you don't have any access to it, so in linux
likewise the modem doesn't use a normal /dev/ttyS2.
--
Tim Prince