Suse 7.3 ,toshiba 8100 and winmodem
  • From: Gahn Lu <ipfreak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 02:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all:

Here is what I found:

On WIN XP, the port range for the modem is 0x02e8-0x02ef with IRQ 3. On the Linux, one of lines in /dev/ioports showed:

0x02e8 - 0x02ef: PCI device 11c1:0441

I assume that it is for the modem

Also I used "minicom" program and here is what it showed on the window:

Welcom to minicom 1.83.1

Compiled on Sep 20 2001, 04:31:56

Press CTRL-A for help on special keys

AT S1=4 5 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

OK

which told me that the Suse linux recognized the modem.

But the "minicom" stopped here and didn't show which COM port it found on which the modem operated. Also I installed the binary package from www.heby.de and it linked /dev/modem to /dev/ttyLT0 automatically.

Here got me confused. Obviously I have to set up modem by using "setserial", but on which COM port? /dev/ttyS2 (COM3) or /dev/ttyLT0? Or I shoudl link /dev/ttyLT0 to /dev/ttyS2 instead of /dev/modem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

_newbie in linux