Re: [SLE] Toshiba8100, Suse linux and winmodem
  • From: Tim Prince <tprince@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 05:39:36 -0700
On Sunday 07 April 2002 23:46, Gahn Lu wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am a newbie to Linux. Here is my problem: via
> command /sbin/lspci, it showed that my Tecra 8100's
> internal modem is Lucent winmodem. Did anyone ever get
> this internal modem worked on dialup (to ISP, say
> earthlin.net)? I could not ever determin which COM
> port the modem is using... on XP (the machine is dual
> boot, XP and Suse linux), it is using COM3; so I
> assume it shoudl be /dev/ttyS2, but when i use command
> "cat /dev/ttyS2" and i got error message...
>
> help please....
>
> Thanks
I never succeeded in getting the LT working in redhat, but with SuSE it was
simply a matter of following the instructions (which Yast gives you when you
ask it to install modem driver) about where to download the pre-compiled
driver. If you are running Personal, as I am, you don't have the necessary
kernel source on the CD for rebuilding the driver from source, so you will
need the pre-compiled version, e.g. the one from the sfu site. I used it with
Earthlink for months, until Earthlink gave me the choice of getting on the
waiting list to pay $700 for satellite gear or switch to my local ISP to get
ADSL.
--
Tim Prince