Re: [SLE] SuSE + WinXP machine
  • From: Anthony Moulen <ajmoulen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:54:01 -0400
On Sunday 07 April 2002 09:16 pm, Eric Pierce wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My wife just picked up a sweet Toshiba Dynabook last
> week and (having helped pay for it) I'm gearing up to
> slap SuSE on part of the drive.
>
> Question.
> Can SuSE 7.3/8.0 resize partitions during the install?
7.3 to my knowledge can not, but I could be wrong, I believe 8.0 will be able
to.
> If so can it resize NTFS (that's WinXP's right?)
There isn't a Linux partitioner out there that I am aware of that can resize
an NTFS partition. In fact I am only aware of one partition tool that can
resize a Windows XP NTFS partition. Partition Magic 7.0.
> If not what are my options (besides Partition Magic)?
The only option I know if is to restore the laptop hoping that during restore
it doesn't install using NTFS. Before you boot into Windows XP, resize the
partition. Now boot into Windows XP. If they do what most restores seem to,
they install on FAT32, then convert to NTFS on first boot.

> Also, should/can I let LILO handle the WinXP boot? or
> should I go with a different option (i.e., Linux boot
> floppy, ??)?
LILO works just fine to boot WinXP. You can also go in the opposite direction
and boot Linux from WinXP boot menu. This is actually better in some ways if
the boot partition stays FAT32, because it gives you only 1 boot menu no
matter which OS you use.