Re: [SLE] PHP/MySQL
  • From: steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 20:53:50 +0200
On Sunday 07 April 2002 22:10, you wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:43:42PM +0100, Tom Wesley wrote:
> > i suggest checking the mysql web site for a gui client and admin app.
>
> I'm afraid I must disagree. The mysql command line client is quite
> powerful and not so hard to use. If I get a syntax error while issuing
> a SQL command, I want to know it's me and not the GUI interface that
> caused the problem. Plus, once you understand the syntax, it becomes
> easy to script and automate all kinds of things like database backups,
> syncs, queries, etc. Then again, maybe I am just twisted that way ;)
>
> Best Regards,
> Keith

Hi. I'm somewhere in the middle. I really struggled getting mysql up and
writing my first database although if you follow the pet database setup at
www.mysql.com (it's in the documentation, chapter three I think) you'll soon
see that the command line really is the best place to be when selecting
mating pairs of dogs born before 1999. The only gui I have found to be of any
use is the one I use at www.lycos.es. It is great for seeing your info on
screen like a spreadsheet and fiddling with it.
Good luck. Steve.

< Previous Next >