Re: [SLE] old hardware question
  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 06:21:42 -0500
On April 7, 2002 06:56 am, Clayton Cornell wrote:
> I have dug up an old 386sx25 with 4MB RAM and a 100 MB HD. I would like to
> get this system up and running.... with Linux of course. The problem seems
> to be finding a package that will actually run on the silly thing. I have
> yet to be able to boot a SuSE Linux floppy on it.... of course, chekcing
> the boxes ofthe various 7.x versions I have tells me that a 386 is out of
> the question.
>
> The ultimate goal of this machine is for it to be a simple play machine
> with basic ethernet/internet access. I would like to get one of the simple
> WMs running and a simple web browser as well, but this is not a must
> have.... more of a challenge once I get an OS installed.
>
> So... any suggestions? FreeBSD, RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware etc all
> seem to have system requirements beyond the humble hardware of this
> machine. Am I stuck with loading DOS6.22 and Windows 3.11 <shudder>?

How much work are you willing to do? The easiest would be to find an old
copy of SuSE. I bet 6.0 and before might work. The next step would be to
start with one of the router based packages [which will be more upto date]
and then add in the other things you need. The final way would be to roll it
all yourself.

Nick