Re: [SLE] KDM / WindowMaker 0.8
  • From: Anders Dahlqvist <dahlqvist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:03:29 +0200
Ooops! Typing error! Should be
ln -s $(which wmaker) /usr/X11R6/bin/windowmaker
More about that later.
The fact that your binary is /usr/local/bin/wmaker doesn't matter att all as
long as /usr/local/bin is in your path, which it should be on a system that
has not been extremely tampered.
So if yoy just entered "wmaker" (without quotation marks) in
/etc/opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc or added wmaker as a session in KDE
control center you should be able to use WindowMaker just by wmaker (or
scrolling down to) in KDM.
If the entry in /etc/opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc isnt "wmaker" but
"WindowMaker" or "windowmaker" this will not work since there most likely
isn't a binary named "WindowMaker" in your path - there's no "WindowMaker" or
"wmaker" to run. Then you have to create one!
That's where "ln -s $(which wmaker) /usr/X11R6/bin/windowmaker" comes in.
The command creates a symbolic link from "wherever wmaker is in your path" to
/usr/X11R6/bin/windowmaker . When you enter "windowmaker" as the
windowmanager of your choice in KDM there actually is an executable
"windowmaker" to run.
So, bearing in mind that UNIX is case-sensitive you have at least four
courses of action:
1. If your entry is "WindowMaker" .
ln -s /usr/local/bin/wmaker /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker
2. If your entry is "windowmaker" .
ln -s /usr/local/bin/wmaker /usr/X11R6/bin/windowmaker
3. If you don't want to create symbolic links.
As root: Open up /etc/opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc in your favourite
editor. Enter "wmaker" somewhere on the line (~ line 59) that begins with
SessionTypes.
Run "rcxdm restart" in a terminal.
4. If you don't want to create symbolic links and don't want to hand-edit
files.
Enter a session "wmaker" in KDE controll center, system, login manager,
sessions (or whaterver it's called in English). Log out. From KDM, restart
the X-server.
Best regards

Anders

--
When the Universe was not so out of whack as it is today, and all the
stars were lined up in their proper places, you could easily count them