Re: [SLE] Replacing Hard Drive
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:24:54 +0200
Hi, Dave,

Hmm. If you already have a backup, I would suggest doing nothing for
the moment (unless the machine is critical). Your 'FAT' errors could
be (are likely to be) related to the windoze partition. Do you
normally try to mount it?

Hardly ever

In this case, it is certainly possible that the errors are actually
on your windoze partition, and are due to the big windoze crash you
had. Once you've trimmed your logfiles down to something sensible,
and checked your partition table, I'd let it lie for a while, and
see what happens. If you still get errors even if you don't try to
mount or access the windoze partition, then you need to think about
doing something.

That sounds pretty sensible to me!

Did you work out why you were still short on disk space?

I deleted the enormous log files and this freed up about 2.5 GB; after rebooting a df -h showed that much freed up. There have been no error messages since the e2fsck yesterday, for which I'm grateful. I'll monitor over the weekend and see what's what.

Side question: why did I need to reboot the machine before df -h showed the proper amount of freed disk space - before I rebooted it still displayed the 99% full figure; on reboot it showed 71% used.

Hmm.

nick

--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx