Replacing hard drive
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:01:49 +0200
Hi, all,
At the behest of several of you yesterday I have begun thinking about a new hard drive for my machine.

(I still have one doubt: I know that right before this problem started

Directory 1041166: bad FAT
Filesystem panic (dev 03:02)
FAT error)

the Windows &!^@*!^ ME on the machine's other partition crashed and I had to shut off the power to the machine to get it to restart. That makes me wonder whether this is actually a physical hard drive problem or simply a problem of rude Windows trying once again to take over everything in its way. Any opinions on that anyone?)

Anyway the point of my question is this: how can I make a disk image of the linux portion of the disk as it is now to copy onto the new disk. The machine is on a network, and I have a hard drive on the network that has 10GB free (enough to capture, I would guess, an image of the 6.6GB that I'm currently using on my /dev/hda8

Can anyone point me to a step by step how to of disk imaging or point out some things to be careful of?

Many thanks in advance (and thanks again to everyone for yesterday)

Nick