kde3 and apt4rpm
  • From: Bob Torres <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:54:38 -0500
As many of you have probably seen on /. by now, it looks like the new
KDE3 final is coming really soon even though KDE themselves haven't
announced it just yet (so don't go rushing out to get it, let the
mirrors propagate first!).

Anyway, I've recently installed apt4rpm and man, this is awesome. I've
often thought about switching to Debian just for apt...but now that SuSE
has it, I'm on board for good. My question is, when KDE3 is finally out
and has hit the mirrors, will I be able to apt-get install it? Just for
fun, I tried to install "kdebase3" with the -s option and I get:

<begin snippet>
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

(and a long list of dependencies)
</end snippet>

So, I guess my questions are, will I be able to install the new KDE3
this way? Is it just incomplete on the mirror right now? Why would
this be an impossible situation as the msg above says? And why can't
apt solve the dependency problems? Is it just a matter of this not
being on the mirror?

TIA,

Bob

< Previous Next >