Fwd: Re: [SLE] Suse 7.2 eating disk space
  • From: Nick Selby <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:23:03 +0200
Okay... Deep breath...
1. You can only run fsck as root.
2. You can only run fsck (properly) on file-systems that are *not*
mounted read-write.

Since the normal state of your system is to have the root partition
mounted read-write, you will have to reboot your machine and do something
special. You can either boot from a dedicated boot disk (e.g. tomsrtbt
or possibly the SuSE install disk in rescue mode), in which case you
don't need to mount the root FS at all, you can just check it unmounted

Okay,
I've booted with the rescue disk and am logged in. As root. I checked the man pages and Suse's man how to's. I get this:

You can try to fix the filesystem with e2fsck (Here we are taking the ext-2-Filesystem. It is the standard one.) e2fsck is able to seek your disk for bad sectors, and to mark them so that they will never we written again.

Attention: You have to be aware, that e2fsck can't cause any wonder. In some cases (specially if there are hardware problems or severe damaged filesystems) the use of e2fsck may lead to an aggravation of your problem.

The user handbook contains the complete manual-page of e2fsck. Please read it, and execute the program from the rescue system (boot from CD or from SuSE installation disk and start the rescue system. Don't mount the concerned disk, see manual).

The command to repair the filesystem is (here we will take: /dev/sda5 as the damaged one):
e2fsck -f -c -y /dev/sda5

Would anyone here be able to tell me whether this is the proper procedure for me?

I'm concerned about the e2fsck and not fsck.

Thanks in advance,
An increasingly desperate Nick

,
or you can use some Linux magic to ensure that when it comes back up,
it has the root FS read-only. I'm not exactly sure what you would need
to do this, so I can either suggest you look around the HOWTOs on
www.linuxdoc.org, or failing that, someone else here more knowledgeable
than myself might be able to help.

Of course, there is always the possibility that if your machine is
sufficiently stuffed, it might not come back up at all. That's why
I suggested that it might need a bit of bravery...

HTH...
--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx
STMicroelectronics Home Email: David.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx