Re: [SLE] http://localhost doesn't work
  • From: Jim Bonnet <jimbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:09:34 -0800
steve wrote:
On Monday 01 April 2002 17:32, you wrote:

On Monday 01 April 2002 4:37 pm, steve wrote:

Hi everyone.
OK Full reinstall of apache direct from the SuSE 7.3 CD's having deleted
the /usr/local/httpd directory

It is running as rcapache status tells me. I put a file called index.html
in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/. I call http://localhost/ and I get a dialoge
box 'Open http://localhost ?
open the file
save to disk'

If I choose open the file and select konqueror (or any other browser) I
just get a list of the html. Clicking on the file itself works fine
though.

I have also tried http://127.0.0.1/ with the same results. Could there be
something broken in the httpd.conf file?

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Steve.

Sounds much more likely that your browser is buggered. How about try Lynx??
Or if your server is accessible out here I'll give it a go.

Tom

Hi. Mozilla, netscape 4.7 and Opera all give me the same message of either saving the file to disk or opening it. If I open it I just get a listing of the html.

Am at a total loss. Get me out of here!
Steve.

there was a discussion recently of someone installing openoffice or quanta or something that hosed the /etc/mimetypes.. The problem was the same

Did you or have you installed an html editor or openoffice that could have adjusted the mime types?

regards-
Jim