Re: [SLE] http://localhost doesn't work
  • From: steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:16:47 +0200
On Monday 01 April 2002 18:54, you wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:37:48 +0200
>
> steve <fsanta@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> > OK Full reinstall of apache direct from the SuSE 7.3 CD's having deleted
> > the /usr/local/httpd directory
> >
> > It is running as rcapache status tells me. I put a file called index.html
> > in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/. I call http://localhost/ and I get a dialoge
> > box 'Open http://localhost ?
> > open the file
> > save to disk'
> >
> > If I choose open the file and select konqueror (or any other browser) I
> > just get a list of the html. Clicking on the file itself works fine
> > though.
> >
> > I have also tried http://127.0.0.1/ with the same results. Could there be
> > something broken in the httpd.conf file?
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Steve.
>
> Look at your /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file.
> Make sure index.html is listed.
>
> <IfModule mod_dir.c>
> DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
> </IfModule>
>
> Also look for the Servername line and put your chosen name in there.
> Servername 127.0.0.1
>
> The servername also is affected by the entries in /etc/hosts
>
> You should have
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>
> You can also name your server after the number of your network
> card, and then put that in /etc/host.

Thanks, maybe getting somewhere.
Here is my /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.2 altea.local altea
fe00::0 ipv6-localnet
ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts

If I uncomment the 192.168.1.2 (my ethernet eth0 for adsl) then I get a
different error: 'can't connect to localhost' or 'can't connect to 127.0.0.1'
'permission denied' (root included)

Thanks for your patience. This really is a pain I know. Steve.